Friday, May 7, 2010

Oh, Mother!


Another trip around the sun, and it's almost time to celebrate my role as mother yet again. I could probably go into detail about all the great things I do every day, and how I never make mistakes, and how if there were an Academy Award for Best Performance by a Mother in a Leading Role, I would for sure win, or at least be nominated among a great group of women. I could... But, I think my best work is yet to come, and right now I'm really just trying to hold on for dear life to what little sanity, composure and bladder control I still have left.

I think it was Michael J. Fox who said that parenting is kind of like being on suicide watch. So true, Michael, so true. It's more like, "Don't put that in your mouth, you'll choke & die," or "Don't climb on that, you'll fall & kill yourself," or "Don't lick that electrical outlet, you'll fry your little brain." Just a series of close calls, followed by snack time & Elmo.

Mother of the Year entry story - Last night as I was putting Lucas to bed, and we were snuggling in the dark, out of the blue he asks, "Are there animals that eat people?" So, I decide that it's time for him to hear the truth, so I start listing all the animals that eat people that I know of, and tell him there may actually be more out there, but you'll know them when you see them.

After thinking about this for awhile in the dark, he then asks, "Do snakes eat people?" to which I reply, "Of course," and proceed to re-enact this by opening up my mouth, pressing it against his forehead, and explaining how snakes can open their jaws really wide when they're trying to eat a person.

Okay, after several trips back into his room that night to turn the lights on and show him that there weren't any snakes there, I realized the error of my ways. I then revised my original snake story to explain that these snakes don't exist in North America, and that he had nothing to worry about unless we were on a family safari trip in Africa, but that wasn't on the plans for this summer so he'd be okay.

I love my job.

:)

1 comment:

  1. You would for sure be at least nominated... Good thing you clarified snakes though!

    ReplyDelete